We have received a lot of queries about arrangements for our 2020 event with the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19.
We have made the following changes to previous years’ arrangements:
- We plan to go ahead with our event at level 1 or 2.
- If in level 3 or 4, our event will be cancelled and all those registered can either select a transfer to 2021 or a refund less 10% admin fee.
- Our race pack pick up venue is changing. Race pack pick up will be in the underground carpark at Pak’nSave, Victoria Ave, Whanganui on Friday 11th December (to allow for greater physical distancing).
- Entrants are strongly encouraged to pick up their race packs on Friday (or arrange a friend to pick up theirs for them).
- There will be no ‘On The Day’ or ‘Late’ entries taken this year. Entries will close at midnight on 1 December. Please ensure you enter early to avoid disappointment.
- QR tracer codes and sign in areas will be in place.
- There will be other arrangements put in place if we happen to be at level 2. This will be communicated at a later time if required.
Online entries will close at midnight on 1st December 2020.
Please note, no ‘Late’ or ‘On The Day’ entries will be accepted this year.
There is a limit of 1000 participants for this event. Enter now so you don’t miss out!
Half Marathon $50.00
Quarter Marathon $30.00
4 x 5km Run/Walk Relay $60.00 (per team of 4)
Kids 1.2km $5.00
IAAF AIMs Certified Course
- The Pak’nSave Whanganui 3 Bridges Marathon and the Property Brokers Half Marathon courses are IAAF AIMs certified
- AIMs stands for Association of International Marathons and Distance Races
- This means our Marathon and Half Marathon can now be used as an official time for any events requiring a qualifying time
- Marathon and Half Marathon competitors / entrants are recommended to be 16 years of age or over
- Quarter Marathon competitors / entrants are recommended to be 12 years of age or over
- 1.2km Fun-Run-Athon competitors / entrants must be 13 years of age or under
- Competitors / entrants under 7 years of age must be accompanied by a parent / caregiver
Race Pack Pick Up - VENUE CHANGE
Where: Pak’nSave Underground Carpark, 393 Victoria Ave, Whanganui
When: Friday 11th December 5:00pm-8:30pm. We strongly encourage all entrants to pick up race packs on Friday (or arrange someone else to pick it up for you). Any race packs not collected on Friday evening will be available at Moutoa Gardens on Saturday 12th December 5:30am-up to 30mins before race start time
What: Race Packs, Race Number and Timing Chip, any T-Shirts you purchased + pre-drawn Minor Spot Prizes
(You must pin your race number to the front of your shirt. The timing transponder is attached to your race number)
All races start and finish on Taupo Quay between the Union Boat Club and Moutoa Gardens, except the 1.2km Fun-Run-Athon, which starts at the Cornmarket Reserve, 39 Somme Parade, Whanganui.
There is parking available in many surrounding streets, but it will be busy so please allow time to find a park. On Friday only, there is parking available outside the Union Boat Club on Taupo Quay, between Market Place and Bates Street. There will be no parking in this area on Saturday as this is the start/finish area.
Personal gear can be left in the Union Boat Club on race day, but please note, the organisers take no responsibility for its safety
- A pre-race briefing is held at the start line 10 minutes before each start. All participants must attend
- All events (except the 1.2km Kids Fun-Run-Athon) start on Taupo Quay, between the Union Boat Club and Moutoa Gardens
- 6:00am Pak’nSave Marathon Walk
- 7:00am Pak’nSave Marathon Run
- 8:00am Property Brokers Half Marathon Walk
- 8:30am Property Brokers Half Marathon Run
- 9:00am Let’s Go! 5km Run/Walk Relay
- 10:00am Unichem Whanganui Quarter Marathon Run/Walk
- 11:30am The Hits 5km Run/Walk
- 12:30pm McDonald’s 1.2km Fun-Run-Athon (starts at Cornmarket Reserve, 39 Somme Parade, Whanganui)
- 1:30pm Prize giving (Moutoa Gardens)
5km Walk and Run
1.2km Kids Marathon
- There are 3 aid stations per quarter marathon lap (refer race maps)
- Each aid station has water and electrolyte drink
- All events finish on Taupo Quay between the Union Boat Club and Moutoa Gardens
- At the finish line please follow the directions of the event officials, down the finish chute and in to Moutoa Gardens
- At 1:00pm, the course controls will cease. Participants remain on the course at their own risk
- Official event timing will cease at 1:00pm
- Marathon Walkers can request an early start time of 6:00am. Please Note – Those starting early will not be eligible for place medals or merit prizes
- This year’s events will be timed by The Timing Team
Rules and Safety
All participants must read the full race rules and safety notes
- All participants entering this event have agreed to a waiver – they enter and participate at their own risk, and are responsible for their own actions at all times. There is no liability to the event organisers, the Wanganui Harrier Club, sponsors, or other associated parties.
- Participants under 16 years of age must be entered by their parent/guardian
- The event organiser may alter, postpone or cancel the event, without refund
- Entries are transferable to another participant until 8 December 2020 (if officially approved by the organiser)
- Entrants wanting to change events must do so officially. After 8 December 2020 this can only be done at Race Pack Pick Up
- Participants must give way to traffic at all times, remain inside the marked course and keep to the footpath if available. They must follow the course as explained at the race briefing. Failure to do so could lead to disqualification
- At all times, participants must obey instructions given to them by the NZ Police, Event Officials/Marshals and First Aid Personnel
- Accompanying animals are not allowed on the course
- This course is not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs
- Roller blades, scooters, skateboards and bicycles are prohibited from the course
- Earphone and ear plug music devises are not to be used
- Participants must not be accompanied by anyone not entered in the event, except in the Kids 1.2km Fun-Run-Athon, where parents/guardians are welcome to accompany their children on foot free of charge. Children under 7 years of age must be accompanied by a caregiver 14 years or older
- All participants must attend the pre-race briefing on the start line, 10mins prior to each start
- The organisers reserve the right to withdraw any participant who, A) doesn’t comply with the race rules, B) they consider unsafe to continue due to medical reasons
- Any protest regarding any aspect of the event must be made in writing to the race director no later than 1:00pm on race day
- Walkers must only walk! Entrants wishing to walk-jog must enter as runners
- The Walk categories are not official race walk events. There will be Walk Judges on the course and any walkers judged to be running will be promoted to the running section of the results
- Walkers are requested to walk no more than two abreast so as not to impede the progress of the runners or to create a traffic hazard
Race Numbers and Electronic Timing Chips:
- Race numbers must be worn on your chest and be visible at all times
- Your race number has your electronic timing chip stuck on the back. Chips are programmed with your name, event and the correct start time. Entrants must wear the race number assigned to them. Please be careful not to mix up your number with another entrant, and make sure you start with the correct event
- We do not take responsibility for incorrect results where participants started with the wrong event, mixed up their number with another participant, or failed to wear their number
- The timing chip is disposable. We do not need race numbers back
- The course is run on public roads and is open to vehicular traffic. At all times you must watch for traffic and obey traffic management instruction. Course marshals are in place for direction only. Where traffic is involved, participants must take responsibility for their own decisions and actions
- The course organisation officially closes at 1:00pm. Participants still on-course after 1:00pm will be responsible for their own safety and support
- Entrants must be prepared for the possibility of cold or hot weather and dress accordingly
- Sunscreen is recommended
- Please bring spare clothing for after you finish
- It is unlikely that the event would be called off due to weather
- First Aid is based at the Union Boat Club, and will be mobile around the course
- In the event of collapse or a severe medical incident, do not move the patient. Make another participant run to the nearest aid station or marshal and they will arrange for first aid. Keep the participant warm while waiting for fist aid
- An official road closure will be in place from 4am to 4pm along Taupo Quay between Market Place and Bates St, and only official vehicles will be allowed on this part of the course
- It is strongly recommended that supporters not follow the event at any point, by any means of transportation (this includes bikes). Please leave the course free for the participants
Showers and Toilets
- There are showers and toilets available at the Union Boat Club for use on race day
- There are public toilets at Moutoa Gardens (start/finish area) and at Kowhai Park + Port-a-loos on the course (refer to race map)
- Prize-giving will be held at Moutoa Gardens at 1:30pm
- Major spot prizes will be drawn at prize-giving and winners must be present to collect their spot prize, otherwise it will be redrawn
Finishers Certificates will be available to download from The Timing Team website after the event
Results will be posted to the event website www.whanganuithreebridges.co.nz asap after the event.
- The Tamara Back Packers Lodge
24 Somme Parade, Whanganui
Phone Rory or Barbara on 06 347 6300
- Riverview Motel
14 Somme Parade, Whanganui
Phone 06 345 2888
- Riverside Motel
30 Somme Parade, Whanganui
Phone 06 345 2448
For a Meal
- Brick House Restaurant
See Mike and Julie at 72 Hill Street, Whanganui
Phone: 06 348 4945
- 25 Somme Parade Cafe & Restaurant
25 Somme Parade, Whanganui
Phone: 027 549 7141
- McDonald’s Family Restaurants
314 Victoria Ave, Whanganui
Or 3 Liffiton Street, Whanganui
- Pak’nSave Whanganui
167 Glasgow St, Whanganui, 4500
Join the fun on
Sat 12th December 2020.
Enter an event today!